What significant counters should you monitor in Performance Monitor?
Here are 4 of them that you should not miss.
- PhysicalDisk / % Idle Time – should not be less than 60%. Preferably staying at the top of your chart at all time.
- PhysicalDisk / Avg. Disk sec/read – should not be higher than 20ms.
- PhysicalDisk / Avg.
- PhysicalDisk / Current Disk Queue Length – should not be higher than 2.
How do I add counters to my Performance Monitor?
Adding new counters
- Select Local computer or the name of your computer from the drop-down menu.
- Select and expand the category of the item you want to monitor.
- Select the counters you want to monitor (e.g., Bytes Total/sec).
- If applicable, select the instances you want to monitor.
- Click the Add button.
How do you analyze a perfmon counter?
To analyze counter data with the Perfmon Viewer, you can use the controls and indicators that exist in the lower and upper sectors of the viewer interface, which are referred to as the Counter Table and the Data Grid, respectively. The controls can change the way you display the data to facilitate analysis.
How do you read perfmon data?
To view the Data Collector Set log file
- Start Windows Performance Monitor.
- In the navigation pane, expand Monitoring Tools, and then choose Performance Monitor.
- In the console pane toolbar, choose the View Log Data button.
- In the Data Source section, select Log files, and then choose the Add button.
How do you get perfmon logs?
Collecting the Windows Perfmon log data to diagnose virtual machine performance issues (2010970)
- Click Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Performance.
- Under Performance Logs and Alerts, right-click Counter Logs and click New Log Settings.
- Enter a name for the log and then click OK.
What are counter logs?
Counter logs poll the event in some period interval (for e.g. every minutes) based on a setting, whereas Trace logs only log the event when something happens. Copy link CC BY-SA 2.5. Follow this answer to receive notifications. answered Aug 3, 2009 at 8:57.
How do I view perfmon logs?
How do I enable perfmon in SQL Server?
How to use Performance Monitor for SQL Server monitoring?
- Open Start (Windows + C for Windows 8), Search, type perfmon, and press Enter.
- Open Start, Run (Windows + R for Windows 8), type perfmon, and press Enter.
- Open Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, and click Performance Monitor.
What is Perfmon scale?
Scale allows you to multiply the actual value by a factor of 10 so that it is easily readable. For example, if your values are all in the 10’s of 1000’s, they would exceed the highest line of the chart, so you could multiply them by . 01 or . 001.
How to write performance monitor data to SQL Server?
Objects/Counters. The following table has a list of Perfmon Objects/Counters related to disk performance with their descriptions and a guide of expected values.
How to performance tune SQL Server?
Measure and analyze the disk activity. If we want to succeed in SQL Server query tuning,we should have sufficient knowledge about some tools.
How to improve Microsoft SQL Server performance?
– First we need to find out which operators take most of the query cost. – If the operator is taking a lot of cost, we need to learn the reason why. Most of the time, scans will take up more cost than seeks. – There are approximately 78 operators, which represent the various actions and decisions of the SQL Server execution plan.
How to reload missing SQL Server performance counters?
Open file in text editor,make sure that all of the needed counters are there in the file,if not there then add counter while matching the format of existing